D: Dogs (Regular, Not Prairie)



Moving on to real canines today! Fort Collins is a dog loving community. We have dog parks, dog stores, gourmet dog-treat bakers, doggie day cares, charity galas for dogs, doggie olympics, a world-class veterinary school, and many kind-hearted people who rescue, foster, and care for dogs. (We also have some people who apparently think their dogs are so special that they don't need to be leashed or cleaned up after, which are two of my "pet" peeves.)


In addition to my own dog (that's her in the laundry basket), there are a total of seven dogs--including three crazy poodles--in the back yards adjacent to mine, so I guess it's a good thing we are dog people.



Our most famous local dog was Annie, the Railroad Dog. Unwanted by her owner, she was adopted in 1934 by workers at the Colorado and Southern Railroad. Not many folks would have taken on a pregnant mutt during the Depression, but the men fed her and gave her a home at the train station. For years, she greeted the passengers who came and went. When she died in 1948, the C&S crewmen buried her near the station and put up a grave marker. This bronze sculpture of Annie by artist Dawn Weimer stands in front of the Old Town Library.









Comments

liz young said…
And are Annie's descendants still local inhabitants? Either your laundry basket is small or that's a big dog!
Unknown said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your doggy in the laundry basket made me chuckle. Too cute!
Tami Von Zalez said…
I like that dogs - regular, not prairie!

Popped by from the AtoZ Challenge.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com
Unknown said…
I love dogs. They can be the sweetest things. I haven't been owned one by one since 2004, though.
Robin said…
Thanks for visiting my blog.

I, too, love dogs. We have three dogs right now. They are all getting up there in age and I worry that one of them won't be with us much longer. It makes me sad.

You are right about Annie The Railroad Dog. She must have been special for those men to take her in during hardship times. Of course, it is during the difficult times that people often show their most compassionate sides. The worst gives us the opportunity to be our best.
HistorySleuth said…
We have two rescue pit bulls. Good dogs too. I agree on the leash and poop. I know when I'm cleaning up someone else's. A good D word. :)
J.L. Campbell said…
I like dogs too, but don't have the yard space to keep any.
katie eggeman said…
I love a good dog adoption story. Thanks for visiting. If I were doing a local blog it would end up being about the Joplin Tornado.
Katie atBankerchick Scratchings
Cheryl Holland said…
Aw, she looks like she expects to be told off in the basket. So cute!

Popular Posts