X: X Marks the Spot

Today's letter is a tough one. The dictionary has a great selection of X words, but none that really fit very well with my local theme. (How smug I was when I used xeriscape last year.) X-mas seemed like a cop-out, and xeroderma (abnormal dryness of the skin, which we no doubt have due to our arid climate) is just kind of gross.

So I'm going with the old standby 'X marks the spot.'

The Poudre River I referred to yesterday is actually named the Cache la Poudre, which means 'hide the powder' in French. Legend has it that in 1836, a group of French trappers on their way from St. Louis to Green River, Wyoming, spent a few days snowed in near the present-day town of Bellevue, Colorado. Before they continued on, they buried their gunpowder to lighten their load. Later, members of the party returned and retrieved their cache. I don't know if they used a map with an X on it, but if so, it would have been about here:



For anyone wanting their own X-marks-the-spot experience, Rootles - Quests for the Curious creates personalized treasure hunts for groups large and small, casual and corporate. They're headquartered in Fort Collins, but they conduct hunts nationwide. I haven't done one yet, but it's on my list!


Comments

Popular Posts