Road Tripping: Topeka, Kansas

The only tires-on-pavement road trip I've taken this summer is to Topeka, Kansas, which is about a 9 hour drive from my house. On the way home, I realized that although I've been there many times to visit family, I don't know much about the place. In case you don't either, here are five Friday facts about Topeka:


Topeka's Capitol Dome
Topeka means "a good place to dig potatoes" in the language of the Kansa and Ioway Native Americans;


Cedar Crest, the Kansas Governor's Residence in Topeka, is the smallest occupied governor's home but sits on the largest piece of property at 244 acres;

Topeka's Washburn University is the only municipally-owned university in the country;


Lake Shawnee in southeast Topeka is the location of the only fully-staked 400-meter dash rowing course in the world and hosts the annual Great Plains Rowing Championships; and


According to Weird Facts, it is forbidden and/or illegal in Topeka to: drive one's car through a parade, sing the alphabet on the streets at night, have a snowball fight, spit on the sidewalk, own a pit bull, scream at a haunted house, haul a dead chicken across Kansas Avenue, drive cattle through the streets, or install a bathtub.


Now it's time for me to get crackin' on my A to Z Road Trip. I hope to start at #1 and make it through the entire list, including all the random blogs I've already visited. Maybe we'll bump into each other on the information highway!









Comments

liz young said…
Illegal to install a bathtub? who thought that one up - a bathhouse owner?

Popular Posts